From: Sean Cook <scook@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Stable Portage tree
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 04:49:50
1 > On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 17:01 +0000, Eduardo Tongson wrote:
2 >>
3 >> What makes CentOS 4.1 "more" stable than gentoo care to elaborate?
4 >
5 > The beauty of running a binary based GNU/Linux distribution not
6 > particularly on CentOS alone but in general (includes Debian, Red Hat,
7 > SuSE, Mandriva, etc.) is before the updates are released to the public
8 > it has been tested and compiled for use in enterprise production use.
9 > When I say updates here it doesn't mean of a new version number of the
10 > packages. Instead, the security and bug fixes for the packages
11 > installed in the system.
12
13 so obviously we need to exclude operating systems like FreeBSD and OpenBSD
14 for any type of production use because they do not have binary packages?
17 > This is also the issue raised by Mr. Phillip Berry who started this
18 > thread. I for one wants to have a Gentoo system in an enterprise
19 > production use. This is not about bleeding edge, optimization,
20 > performance and control.
21
22 Gentoo is stable and is not bleeding edge unless you are using keywords
23 and unmasking from the stable distro.
26 > Try to think of managing 100 servers all running Gentoo on 5 to 10
27 > different offices/companies with different services and customed
28 > applications in production use. Do you think you can still manage all
29 > of them?
30
31 this assumes that one could manage 100 server of any distro in this
32 manor... in fact gentoo lends itself to this environment better that most
33 linux distrobutions because of portage overlays that allow you to tag
34 specific machines for beta and production based on packages. It also
35 allow you to build multiple packages and distribute them from a single
36 source after testing.
37
38 By the time you get to 20 servers anyway if you are using cvs (or other)
39 to maintain config files and certain aspects of the os you are asking for
40 trouble.
41
42 That being said may we put this thread to rest? Gentoo is perfectly
43 capable of running in a production environment, I have personally have 15
44 servers all running gentoo 2005.1. I also have several debian servers and
45 freebsd servers.... it is all simply a matter of comfort. you should
46 never put any system into a production environment unless your comfortable
47 admining that system... period. So lets stop the pissing contest of my
48 distro can beat up your distro and get to the real issues.
51 > ---
52 > Linux GNUbie <gnubieATgmailDOTcom>
53 >
54 > --