From: Linux GNUbie <gnubie@×××××.com>
To: propolice@×××××.com
Cc: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Stable Portage tree
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 03:31:33
1 On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 17:01 +0000, Eduardo Tongson wrote:
2 >
3 > What makes CentOS 4.1 "more" stable than gentoo care to elaborate?
4
5 The beauty of running a binary based GNU/Linux distribution not
6 particularly on CentOS alone but in general (includes Debian, Red Hat,
7 SuSE, Mandriva, etc.) is before the updates are released to the public
8 it has been tested and compiled for use in enterprise production use.
9 When I say updates here it doesn't mean of a new version number of the
10 packages. Instead, the security and bug fixes for the packages
11 installed in the system.
12
13 This is also the issue raised by Mr. Phillip Berry who started this
14 thread. I for one wants to have a Gentoo system in an enterprise
15 production use. This is not about bleeding edge, optimization,
16 performance and control.
17
18 Try to think of managing 100 servers all running Gentoo on 5 to 10
19 different offices/companies with different services and customed
20 applications in production use. Do you think you can still manage all
21 of them?
22
23 ---
24 Linux GNUbie <gnubieATgmailDOTcom>