From: Sebastien Arnaud <sebastien@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Benchmarking & Stress testing tools?
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 20:17:34
1 Thank you Tom and Andy for your insights.
2
3 Tom, the benchmark shown definitely sold me on 2.6, I went ahead and
4 compiled and everything has been running without a glitch today even
5 though I have been recompiling the whole system to stress the procs and
6 HD quit a bit. My next steps are going to optimize Apache2 and MySQL on
7 this box and run it face to face against the current Windows
8 environment. I am excited to see what comes out of it!
9
10 Andy, looks like you had fun setting up those other DELL systems.
11 Actually, I found a little trick that allowed me to still use the last
12 1.4 release instead of having to go back to 1.4RC4. I booted using the
13 standard kernel (gentoo with no options), and when it fails to mount
14 the CD-ROM drive because it does not have any SCSI module loaded,
15 simply enter at the prompt:
16 >insmod /modules/storage/aic7xxx.o
17 then
18 >exit
19 and the boot resumes to where it left off, and soon you are in front of
20 your favorite command prompt and you can then load the aacraid module
21 to access your disks (or megaraid depending on your hardware).
22 Thought this might help!
23
24 Thanks again.
25