From: Andy Dustman <adustman@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Benchmarking & Stress testing tools?
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 10:23:25
1 On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 10:46, Sebastien Arnaud wrote:
2
3 > Gentoo is currently running on one of those 6350 and I haven't' had too
4 > much trouble setting up (apart from the lack of scsi raid support of
5 > the smp kernel on the 1.4 livecd). Anyway, I would like to know what
6 > type of tools any of you might have used to benchmark/stress test
7 > properly your Gentoo servers. The goal being to try to optimize as much
8 > as possible performance while monitoring stability of the system under
9 > high level of stress.
10
11 I've done Gentoo on a couple of Dell SMP hardware RAID systems:
12
13 * 2550 (dual P-III, aacraid driver)
14 * 2300 (dual P-II, megaraid driver)
15 * 4400 (dual P-III, aacraid driver)
16
17 All of these systems currently run development-sources-2.6.0_beta11. On
18 the 2550, I previously ran gs-sources for a long while; I think this was
19 due to the aacraid support not working so well in vanilla sources (as of
20 2.4.20). In particular, before switching to to development-sources, I
21 gave wolk-sources a try, and I think I got a kernel panic (it works well
22 on some uniprocessor machines, though). 2.6.0-test* has never given me a
23 bit of trouble on servers or my primary work desktop. These are not
24 primary production servers, and they are not heavily loaded for the most
25 part, but to test them initially for stability I did emerge -e world
26 with MAKE_OPTS=-j4. No problems. I think 2.6.0-test1 was a lot more
27 stable than 2,4.0, and it may be more stable than, say, 2.4.18. However,
28 it is still technically pre-release, but that may be ok for your
29 situation.
30
31 (Incidentally, pentium3-1.4-20030911-c1.iso did NOT work with setting up
32 one of these machines. It would lock up when probing the aacraid driver,
33 and I couldn't use the disk with noscsi, because it had a SCSI CD-ROM
34 drive. I had to go back to the 1.4-RC4 live CD. You need to use doscsi
35 for the live CD boot options to get the SCSI support to work.)
38 Andy Dustman <adustman@×××××××××.edu>
39 Office of Information Technology, Terry College of Business, UGA