From: Jon Kinred <jkinred@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Benchmarking & Stress testing tools?
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 22:25:58
1 On this note. Have you (or anyone else) had any luck setting up the Dell
2 tools for monitoring the RAID status?
3
4 Jon
7 Andy Dustman wrote:
8 > On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 10:46, Sebastien Arnaud wrote:
11 >>Gentoo is currently running on one of those 6350 and I haven't' had too
12 >>much trouble setting up (apart from the lack of scsi raid support of
13 >>the smp kernel on the 1.4 livecd). Anyway, I would like to know what
14 >>type of tools any of you might have used to benchmark/stress test
15 >>properly your Gentoo servers. The goal being to try to optimize as much
16 >>as possible performance while monitoring stability of the system under
17 >>high level of stress.
20 > I've done Gentoo on a couple of Dell SMP hardware RAID systems:
21 >
22 > * 2550 (dual P-III, aacraid driver)
23 > * 2300 (dual P-II, megaraid driver)
24 > * 4400 (dual P-III, aacraid driver)
25 >
26 > All of these systems currently run development-sources-2.6.0_beta11. On
27 > the 2550, I previously ran gs-sources for a long while; I think this was
28 > due to the aacraid support not working so well in vanilla sources (as of
29 > 2.4.20). In particular, before switching to to development-sources, I
30 > gave wolk-sources a try, and I think I got a kernel panic (it works well
31 > on some uniprocessor machines, though). 2.6.0-test* has never given me a
32 > bit of trouble on servers or my primary work desktop. These are not
33 > primary production servers, and they are not heavily loaded for the most
34 > part, but to test them initially for stability I did emerge -e world
35 > with MAKE_OPTS=-j4. No problems. I think 2.6.0-test1 was a lot more
36 > stable than 2,4.0, and it may be more stable than, say, 2.4.18. However,
37 > it is still technically pre-release, but that may be ok for your
38 > situation.
39 >
40 > (Incidentally, pentium3-1.4-20030911-c1.iso did NOT work with setting up
41 > one of these machines. It would lock up when probing the aacraid driver,
42 > and I couldn't use the disk with noscsi, because it had a SCSI CD-ROM
43 > drive. I had to go back to the 1.4-RC4 live CD. You need to use doscsi
44 > for the live CD boot options to get the SCSI support to work.)