From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] new 2006.1/server profile
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:52:35
1 Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > kashani wrote:
3 >> I agree with you. Other then turning on ldap globally, which
4 >> annoyed me, I saw no difference from straight 2006.1 at least with my
5 >> normal USE flags.
6 >
7 > Is your USE="-ldap" broken? :P You can't satisfy everyone. The profile
8 > does nothing more than give people a more server-oriented set of default
9 > USE.
12 Heh. In my mind this is reason we haven't seen much progress on the
13 server front. Some people imagine a server profile to be the minimum USE
14 flags needed to have a working system to which they can add their own
15 flags. Others want something that has made some decisions for them or at
16 least a recommended set of flags that will enable server functionality.
17 Apparently I'm in that first category or I've just been doing it too
18 long since I already have -java -arts -alsa -oss -X -gtk -qt etc in my
19 /etc/make.conf. I probably can drop those in exchange for adding -ldap
20 which is probably something a guy building a server on Gentoo for the
21 first time would appreciate.
22
23 kashani
24 --