From: Jonas Fietz <info@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] new 2006.1/server profile
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 20:12:26
1 kashani wrote:
2 > Andrew Gaffney wrote:
3 >> kashani wrote:
4 >>> I agree with you. Other then turning on ldap globally, which
5 >>> annoyed me, I saw no difference from straight 2006.1 at least with my
6 >>> normal USE flags.
7 >>
8 >> Is your USE="-ldap" broken? :P You can't satisfy everyone. The profile
9 >> does nothing more than give people a more server-oriented set of
10 >> default USE.
13 > Heh. In my mind this is reason we haven't seen much progress on the
14 > server front. Some people imagine a server profile to be the minimum USE
15 > flags needed to have a working system to which they can add their own
16 > flags. Others want something that has made some decisions for them or at
17 > least a recommended set of flags that will enable server functionality.
18 > Apparently I'm in that first category or I've just been doing it too
19 Well, lowest common denominator would be an idea. On servers, I always
20 do -* anyway, so profiles that change a few use-flags don't really
21 matter at all to me anyway.
22 I also see the point that this is not that doable, as there are probably
23 quite a few who do not use pam at all (which I on the other hand do).
24 But why would, by default, X be activated? (Also a few others, but I
25 think that X is the best example of "too much")
26
27 Greetings,
28
29 Jonas