From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@×××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Can Apache Proxy for a NAT'ed web-server
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:05:35
1 On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 09:32 -0600, Kirk Hoganson wrote:
2 > You could use mod_rewrite to proxy rewrite all incoming requests to the
3 > other system. Every request that came in and matched the rewrite rule
4 > would be redirected and proxied to the system specified in the rule.
5 > mod_rewrite can be more than a little daunting but it could handle this
6 > scenario.
9 Yep.. Mod_rewrite can be used for this. Didn't think of that since I was
10 thinking "Proxy" only.
11
12 That being said, using mod_rewrite I can rewrite on-the-fly to the
13 Nat'ed address. But what if the add has a DNS entry? Say
14
15 www.example2.com and www.example1.com both has the same external IP (say
16 10.1.1.1)
17
18 but www.example2.com is actually a NAT'ed server inside the firewall and
19 behind apache? What then?
23 > Ow Mun Heng said the following:
24 > > I'm sure this can be done.
25 > >
26 > > I know about mod_proxy and mod_proxy_html and it's functions as a
27 > > reverse proxy. But the thing is my current understanding of these
28 > > mod_proxy is it's suitable only for servers which are in the internal
29 > > network and has names such as
30 > >
31 > > www.example.com -> external IP
32 > > internalserver.example.com -> NAT IP
33 > >
34 > > external -> internalserver
35 > > www.example.com/internalserver (using mod_proxy and mod_proxy_html)
36 > >
37 > > what if the NAT IP'ed server has it's own DNS? say www.example2.com.
38 > > Can apache still be used to get to it? using Mod_proxy?
39 > >
40 > > I'm just trying to figure out if this is a valid scenerio.
44 Ow Mun Heng
45 Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz 1.5GB RAM
46 98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!
47 Neuromancer 00:01:58 up 11:27, 6 users, load average: 1.49, 1.23, 1.37
51 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list