From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Question about Gentoo-Server Portage Tree
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 07:22:15
1 Stewart Honsberger wrote:
2 > Eric Sammer wrote:
3 >
4 >> The "stable" or "frozen" tree effort was not exactly abandoned so much
5 >> as placed on a back burner to under go further research. There were
6 >> some concerns from some of the devs as to how much additional work
7 >> would be placed on them and their archs (some of the non-x86 archs
8 >> have few developers and certainly don't need extra work piled on).
9 >> Overall, there were a number of issues that needed to be worked out
10 >> prior to any kind of attempt at starting such a project (officially).
11 >>
12 >> The original GLEP by Kurt Lieber remains up for review at
13 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0019.html for those who are
14 >> interested.
17 > I came up with an idea while driving some time last week, so naturally I
18 > forgot to write it down next time I pulled over. :P
19 >
20 > What if, instead of a stable tree, we introduce a new KEYWORDS modifier?
21 > Currently we have -arch, ~arch, and plain 'ol arch. What if we added
22 > "+arch" to mean "Tested stable for production deployment." and impose a
23 > set of guidelines regarding how long such an ebuild should remain
24 > available / in the tree. Server systems could continue using the "main"
25 > tree and set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to +arch to only receive the most tested
26 > stable applications.
27 >
28 > No tree duplication, multiple CVS ./ rsync respositories, and such a
29 > small change I'd bet it could be implemeneted in minutes / hours rather
30 > than days / weeks.
31
32 This idea was long debated over when this issue was originally brought up 6 or so months
33 back. I can't remember what came of it, though.
36 Andrew Gaffney
37 Network Administrator
38 Skyline Aeronautics, LLC.
39 636-357-1548