From: Stewart Honsberger <blkdeath@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Question about Gentoo-Server Portage Tree
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 07:11:47
1 Eric Sammer wrote:
2 > The "stable" or "frozen" tree effort was not exactly abandoned so much
3 > as placed on a back burner to under go further research. There were some
4 > concerns from some of the devs as to how much additional work would be
5 > placed on them and their archs (some of the non-x86 archs have few
6 > developers and certainly don't need extra work piled on). Overall, there
7 > were a number of issues that needed to be worked out prior to any kind
8 > of attempt at starting such a project (officially).
9 >
10 > The original GLEP by Kurt Lieber remains up for review at
11 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0019.html for those who are
12 > interested.
13
14 I came up with an idea while driving some time last week, so naturally I
15 forgot to write it down next time I pulled over. :P
16
17 What if, instead of a stable tree, we introduce a new KEYWORDS modifier?
18 Currently we have -arch, ~arch, and plain 'ol arch. What if we added
19 "+arch" to mean "Tested stable for production deployment." and impose a
20 set of guidelines regarding how long such an ebuild should remain
21 available / in the tree. Server systems could continue using the "main"
22 tree and set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to +arch to only receive the most tested
23 stable applications.
24
25 No tree duplication, multiple CVS ./ rsync respositories, and such a
26 small change I'd bet it could be implemeneted in minutes / hours rather
27 than days / weeks.
30 Stewart Honsberger
31 Gentoo Developer
32 http://www.snerk.org/