From: Jonathan Rogers <jonner@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:13:37
1 Kerin Millar wrote:
2 > Sorry about the half reply before ... :/
5 >>Hi all:
6 >>
7 >> I have a cyrus-imapd installation. And it contains lots of users.
8 >>When i add a new account to cyrus-imapd server. The user who has been
9 >>created right now have to subscribe his mail folders mannully. I wonder
10 >>that whether or not subscribe the mail folders automatic? I have
11 >>searched the web for a long time. But no result. If it could be, how to
12 >>implement it?
13 >>My cyrus version is 2.2.3
16 > I use courier-imap so the procedure would probably be different. But I
17 > presume that you define a mailbox at the time that you add a new Unix user
18 > account. In that case, could you not populate /etc/skel so that the new
19 > user account has the correct entries in order to be subscribed to the
20 > default folders?
21
22 I'm not very experience with Cyrus, but I did mess around with it a
23 little. I'm pretty sure that things will be pretty different, since
24 Cyrus doesn't use ordinary *nix accounts or common mailbox formats.
25
26 Cyrus is specifically designed to serve mail for a large number of users
27 who don't need shell accounts and can supposedly avoid some of the
28 overhead and security issues associated with giving hundreds or
29 thousands of users accounts on a machine. I've never installed an IMAP
30 server for anyone but myself, so I have no idea how scalable the
31 different servers are. I'm now using Courier, since I like the
32 simplicity of maildirs.
33
34 Jonathan Rogers