From: theboywho <theboywho@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Centralized Gentoo (build -> push/pull) to multiple architectures
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:44:26
1 On Wednesday 19 October 2005 22:22, Ian P. Christian wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 19 October 2005 20:15, theboywho wrote:
3 > > If you would like more information, I would be happy to help.
4 >
5 > Absolutly fantastic, I've been meaning to sort this for ages.
6 >
7 > I myself would *love* to see this expanded upon. I could setup a wiki for
8 > this, or the gentoo wiki might be the best place to do it. Or, if you
9 > like, just pencil it out in a tiny bit more detail and I'll document it, I
10 > need to do this for my company.
11
12 I guess the gentoo-wiki would be the best place.
13 >
14 > Questions: do you use cron? how do you report when servers need new
15 > packages? so you automatically install packages? how do you handle
16 > restarting services on the servers? do you have different profiles like...
17 > p4-webserver, amd64-mailserver etc... etc. etc.
18 >
19 > Kind Regards,
20
21 In regards to doing it automatically - I never did that. I have portage update
22 via cron, and then email me a list of the packages that needed updating (i.e.
23 the output of 'emerge -uvp world'.
24
25 I keep separate chroots on my desktop machine for all the other machines I
26 have in /mnt/chroots/<machinename> then another directory for the separate
27 packages folder /mnt/packages/<machinename>
28
29 I do the package updates manually in each chroot with the 'buildpkgs' feature
30 turned on, and then on the actual machines mount
31 the /mnt/packages/<machinename> directory over /usr/portage/packages using
32 NFS.
33
34 The automating this is something that I would be willing to look in to.
35
36 Hope that helps!
39 parmi
40 theboywho@×××××××××.com