From: hanez <mailman@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] cron not doing backup
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 18:16:46
1 Hello Ben,
2
3 On Saturday 13 November 2004 18:29, Ben Munat wrote:
4 > I don't really want to bother installing a whole mail app just for this.
5 > Isn't there some command to do simple mail that I can configure cron to
6 > use? Or, maybe I can put a full email address in the MAILTO in the crontab?
7
8 Don't know if i'm right but wasn't ssmtp usefull for this? It is installed by
9 default on all my Gentoo boxes (if not: "emerge ssmtp") but how it works i
10 don't know! I have replaced it with qmail on all my machines. I would
11 recommend you to run a SMTP interface of some kind on your box to get error
12 messages from cron.
13
14 Which cron do you have installed? There is a difference between vixie-cron and
15 fcron handling the /etc/crontab file. I recommend to use fcron or dcron.
16
17 Here is an example of running a command from /etc/crontab for a different user
18 in vixie-cron:
19
20 0 2 * * * hanez /home/hanez/bin/stats.sh
21
22 I think it's the same syntax for other crons...
23
24 > PS: or maybe there's somewhere that cron puts the output when it can't
25 > mail it?
26
27 I don't know about that... :(
28