From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] cron not doing backup
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 17:27:04
1 Crap, I don't have smtp setup on my home box...
2
3 Nov 12 03:25:58 venus sSMTP[1926]: Unable to locate mail
4 Nov 12 03:25:58 venus sSMTP[1926]: Cannot open mail:25
7 I don't really want to bother installing a whole mail app just for this.
8 Isn't there some command to do simple mail that I can configure cron to
9 use? Or, maybe I can put a full email address in the MAILTO in the crontab?
10
11 thanks
12
13 Ben
14
15 PS: or maybe there's somewhere that cron puts the output when it can't
16 mail it?
19 Jonathan Rogers wrote:
22 > Yes, the programs in /etc/cron.* are running as root, but probably not
23 > with exactly the same environment as when you run them from a login
24 > shell. The cron daemon should mail the output from your script if it
25 > fails. If you can get the error messages, I might be able to help.
26 >
27 > Jonathan Rogers