From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@×××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Network Monitoring Packages eg:ntop
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 02:40:00
1 On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 02:28 +0000, Benjamin Smee wrote:
2 > lo,
3 >
4 > On Wednesday 28 December 2005 02:12, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
5 > > I'll be frank, what I want is for a way to determine top talkers and
6 > > then use that data (with the IP) and then use TC (traffic control) rules
7 > > to restrict/handicap it's bandwidth. Right now, what I'm doing is manual
8 > > control and I can't keep up with the 4am nights just to restrict some
9 > > IPs.
10 > > Do you have any comment/info on how/what's best to do those? Do you also
11 > > know if the way ntop stores it's data, does it also store the IP
12 > > addreses in the RRD Database as well? What I need is to just get the top
13 > > talkers and that would be great. Whipping up a perl/shell script via
14 > > cron to do the dirty work for me.
15 >
16 > Precisely what part of the flows based solution doesn't do that?
17
18 Sorry. I didn't say that it doesn't, only that I've not yet looked
19 further into it to determine what it can/can't do.
22 > Like I said
23 > before look into JKFlow and CUFlow, the scoreboard functions in those modules
24 > give you precisely this information.
25
26 yep.. Will definitely do that. (though ip-audit does seem nice too. Web
27 Front-end as well. But again, will need to look further into it)
28
29 Thanks and sorry if I sounded like JKFlow/CUFlow doesn't do that. (it is
30 perl and my Perl KungFoo isn't great)
33 Ow Mun Heng
34 Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz 1.5GB RAM
35 98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!
36 Neuromancer 10:32:52 up 1 day, 1:15, 5 users, load average: 0.83, 0.81,
37 1.01
41 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list