From: Joby Walker <zorloc@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Qmail - Spamassassin - Clamv
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 23:38:43
1 Very understandable.
2
3 Amavisd-new works with qmail as well. There are 3 Howtos for several
4 different configurations.
5
6 http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/#doc
7
8 jbw
9
10 William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
11
12 > On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 18:43, Joby Walker wrote:
13 >
14 >>I am using Postfix - amavisd-new - SpamAssassin - Clamav. Amavisd-new
15 >>is an excellent daemon that can handle most of the clamav/SpamAssassin
16 >>configuration. Check it out: http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/
17 >>
18 >>Is there a particular reason you chose qmail?
21 > I like to band my head against a wall, while configuring something?
22 > An old mom and pop ISP I like uses it. I heard good things about it? Did
23 > lots of comparisons with it and Postfix. They both seem to be pretty
24 > equal opinions aside? Not really sure at the moment.
25 >
26 > Although after the configuration was a pain. Mainly due to documentation
27 > being to technical and lacing a simple real world complete example.
30 >> Postfix is wonderfully
31 >>easy to configure and plays well with other daemons.
34 > That means so much now. Next time I will make sure to check out
35 > configuration before committing to one or the other. Other factors were
36 > of greater concern when making the choice. Now having lost a few teeth
37 > installing qmail, I do not think I will switch anytime soon.
38 >
39 > Unless. One thing I did like about sendmail was the ability to refuse
40 > certain email flat out. No need for spamassassin, or clamv if you new
41 > how to write certain rules etc. However my sendmail.mc file was getting
42 > huge because of this.
43 >
44 > Not sure if qmail has better support or any or if Postfix does or is
45 > better.
46 >
47 > I still want to use spamassassin and clamv, but it sure would be nice to
48 > refuse the crap before it enters my network and wastes resources. I was
49 > doing it with sendmail and at times it made a major difference.
50 >
51 > So much that for the most part I have not needed spamassassin or clamv.