From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <support@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server <gentoo-server@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Qmail - Spamassassin - Clamv
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:59:39
1 On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 18:43, Joby Walker wrote:
2 > I am using Postfix - amavisd-new - SpamAssassin - Clamav. Amavisd-new
3 > is an excellent daemon that can handle most of the clamav/SpamAssassin
4 > configuration. Check it out: http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/
5 >
6 > Is there a particular reason you chose qmail?
7
8 I like to band my head against a wall, while configuring something?
9 An old mom and pop ISP I like uses it. I heard good things about it? Did
10 lots of comparisons with it and Postfix. They both seem to be pretty
11 equal opinions aside? Not really sure at the moment.
12
13 Although after the configuration was a pain. Mainly due to documentation
14 being to technical and lacing a simple real world complete example.
15
16 > Postfix is wonderfully
17 > easy to configure and plays well with other daemons.
18
19 That means so much now. Next time I will make sure to check out
20 configuration before committing to one or the other. Other factors were
21 of greater concern when making the choice. Now having lost a few teeth
22 installing qmail, I do not think I will switch anytime soon.
23
24 Unless. One thing I did like about sendmail was the ability to refuse
25 certain email flat out. No need for spamassassin, or clamv if you new
26 how to write certain rules etc. However my sendmail.mc file was getting
27 huge because of this.
28
29 Not sure if qmail has better support or any or if Postfix does or is
30 better.
31
32 I still want to use spamassassin and clamv, but it sure would be nice to
33 refuse the crap before it enters my network and wastes resources. I was
34 doing it with sendmail and at times it made a major difference.
35
36 So much that for the most part I have not needed spamassassin or clamv.
40 Sincerely,
41 William L. Thomson Jr.
42 Support Group
43 Obsidian-Studios, Inc.