From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] users of virtual domains
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 23:29:53
1 Sancho2k.net Lists wrote:
2 > chroot'ing would in fact, chroot users to a defined directory. It
3 > changes the root to a different directory, so that for example a user
4 > will see / in their chroot and it is actually /home/user/chroot, or
5 > something similar.
8 I understand that chrooting a user will keep them confined... my
9 question was whether chrooting the ssh executable would confine them. If
10 I understood the previous post correctly, it was suggesting that I put
11 sshd in a chroot jail and that this is a separate action from trapping a
12 user in a chroot. Have I gotten this wrong?
13
14 Chrooting ssh, as with chrooting apache or an ftp server, would have
15 obvious benefits, but I would still have to set up chroot jails for any
16 login users, right?
17
18 I'm actually liking the webDAV idea at this point... though I'm assuming
19 that's not encrypted. Anyone know for sure?
22 thanks,
25 b