From: Andy Dustman <farcepest@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] [OT] time required to install a server
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 21:20:00
1 On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 21:08:10 +0100, Bastian Balthazar Bux
2 <bastianbalthazarbux@×××××××××.it> wrote:
3 > I'm very interested to know the medium time needed to configure some
4 > kind of servers, both in man time (hours dedicated to) and real, time
5 > (days).
6
7 Lately, to install a server, I load up a stage3 tarball, emerge world,
8 do the other little odds-and-ends required to make it bootable
9 (including installing kernel sources and configuring and building the
10 kernel), and reboot. Then I start tweaking. I can do this in about 1-2
11 hrs of wall clock time, including disk partitioning. In actual human
12 time, this was probably under an hour. Overall time really depends on
13 how old your stage3 tarball and portage tree are.
14
15 I know I did a laptop install (GNOME) from a stage3 plus the packages
16 disk, and it took about 2 hrs. 1 GHz P3, but I didn't have to compile
17 very much.
18
19 I have a server on the horizon for rebuilding, so I'll see if I can
20 gather some data.
21
22 On my desktop machine (2.0 GHz P4), emerge world -pve | genlop -p
23 estimates 1 day, 6 hours, 38 minutes, which seems a little long, but
24 does include some whoppers like X, GNOME, Mozilla, Firefox, MySQL,
25 etc. and probably includes download times for sources.
26 --
27 Computer interfaces should never be made of meat.
28
29 Using GMail? Setting Reply-to address to <> disables this annoying feature.