From: Bastian Balthazar Bux <BastianBalthazarBux@×××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] [OT] time required to install a server
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 21:34:47
1 Andy Dustman wrote:
2
3 >On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 21:08:10 +0100, Bastian Balthazar Bux
4 ><bastianbalthazarbux@×××××××××.it> wrote:
7 >>I'm very interested to know the medium time needed to configure some
8 >>kind of servers, both in man time (hours dedicated to) and real, time
9 >>(days).
13 >Lately, to install a server, I load up a stage3 tarball, emerge world,
14 >do the other little odds-and-ends required to make it bootable
15 >(including installing kernel sources and configuring and building the
16 >kernel), and reboot. Then I start tweaking. I can do this in about 1-2
17 >hrs of wall clock time, including disk partitioning. In actual human
18 >time, this was probably under an hour. Overall time really depends on
19 >how old your stage3 tarball and portage tree are.
20 >
21 >I know I did a laptop install (GNOME) from a stage3 plus the packages
22 >disk, and it took about 2 hrs. 1 GHz P3, but I didn't have to compile
23 >very much.
24 >
25 >I have a server on the horizon for rebuilding, so I'll see if I can
26 >gather some data.
27 >
28 >On my desktop machine (2.0 GHz P4), emerge world -pve | genlop -p
29 >estimates 1 day, 6 hours, 38 minutes, which seems a little long, but
30 >does include some whoppers like X, GNOME, Mozilla, Firefox, MySQL,
31 >etc. and probably includes download times for sources.
34 thanks for the answer, also discovered genlop, nice :)