From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Stable Portage tree
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:30:55
1 Phillip Berry wrote:
2 > Hi Sune,
3 >
4 > Thankyou for the answer, after a quick search it is indeed the "GLEP 19" that
5 > satisfied my query. I also found the answer to my other question:
6 >
7 > "All ebuilds should remain in the tree for a minimum of one year. This allows
8 > users to upgrade as infrequently as once per year without risking the stable
9 > portage tree leaving them behind without an upgrade path."
10 >
11 > It's truly unfortunate that that particular effort has lost momentum.
12 >
13 > Could i trouble you to point me to some more specific discourse regarding the
14 > stable portage tree? I wish i could offer my help but I'm afraid i don't have
15 > enough of an understanding of the depths of Portage to be of any great use...
16
17 Well, the problem right now is what kind of a route do we want to take?
18 For example, if Gentoo wanted to try and maintain an enterprise ready
19 solution to the stable tree issue, I don't think we could do it. On the
20 other hand, if we wanted to establish a few tools/solutions that provide
21 some enterprise ready functionality, I think we may be able to do that.
22
23 Some ideas I had was just starting small. Bring back the server page on
24 w.g.o and start adding documents on how to manage Gentoo servers in an
25 enterprise setting. It'd probably be tied to the docs team in some
26 fashion. Right now, there are a couple of docs on how to setup specific
27 applications, but none really about server administration. I know for a
28 fact that I do things in a specific way to maintain the infra servers
29 without breakage. I'd like to find time and make a doc about that.
30
31 Next, come out with a plan or goals we would like to achieve.
32 Stabilizing the tree isn't an easy task. Sure, we could use the
33 snapshots used for 2005.1, etc, but maintainence and QA are the biggest
34 problem. Dealing with security updates for example is one issue. Do we
35 tackle the problem by doing backport patches, or do we just version
36 bump, or do we offer both? Parts of that are more for a third party
37 entity to try and resolve because of the resources we'd need. Seeing a
38 mini fork of Gentoo for the enterprise is one path I see happening down
39 the road. Reason being, specific things would need to be changed to make
40 Gentoo *really* enterprise ready, such things that would disrupt the
41 current Gentoo's development. I would not want to see such things
42 happening and hindering what we already are good at. Its almost like the
43 Ubuntu project, but not funded by a billionaire :).
44
45 Anyways, ways to get this rolling again? Start combining/creating
46 documentation to help server admins out there to manage Gentoo better.
47 Come up with a set of goals/projects for us to attain and prioritize
48 them. Start getting folks to work on them.
49
50 In the past, most of us either got busy with other projects or real life
51 issues, or the folks we had just kind of disappeared. I'm planning on
52 getting this rolling again, but things always come up. Also, folks
53 always come up with 10 different ways to solve the same problem. We'll
54 never come up with something that makes everyone happy.
55
56 Anyways, I'd love to hear your feedback and opinions!
59 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
60 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
61
62 ---
63 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
64 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
65
66 ramereth/irc.freenode.net