From: Ryan Gibbons <gibbonsr-ml@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] iproute2
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 02:57:44
1 Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > A. Khattri wrote:
3 >>
4 >> One of my servers has a lot of IP aliases on eth0 so I thought it
5 >> would be easier to use iproute2 instead of ifconfig. I duly commented
6 >> out modules=("ifconfig") in /etc/conf.d/net (since the comments
7 >> indicate iproute2 is the default in that case). Upon reboot, the
8 >> startup scripts showed the IP aliases being added and each said [ok]
9 >> but they did not appear to be added at all. Did I do something wrong
10 >> or is iproute2 not the right tool for the job? I switched back to
11 >> ifconfig and the startup scripts work fine.
12 >
13 > They're added, but they don't show up in the 'ifconfig' output. You'll
14 > see them all if you run 'ip addr'.
15 >
16 >> Also, each IP took a few seconds to add (this machine has 260 IPs!) -
17 >> as you can imagine it took about 15 minutes to add all the IPs before
18 >> the rest of the boot process could continue. Is there any way to
19 >> speed this up? Maybe forego the "arping" check for every single IP
20 >> added?
21 >
22 > modules_eth0=( "!arping" )
23 >
24 >> Final problem: I tried to force full-duplex on eth0 by using ethtool
25 >> in the preup() function in /etc/conf.d/net. But now Im seeing errors
26 >> like this on my console:
27 >
28 > Why are you forcing it? The fact that you need to force it tells me
29 > that there's something else wrong.
30 >
31 There is something wrong, look at the thread he started above this
32 labeled 100Mbit FD :)
33 --
34 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list