From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] iproute2
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 11:51:01
1 A. Khattri wrote:
2 >
3 > One of my servers has a lot of IP aliases on eth0 so I thought it would
4 > be easier to use iproute2 instead of ifconfig. I duly commented out
5 > modules=("ifconfig") in /etc/conf.d/net (since the comments indicate
6 > iproute2 is the default in that case). Upon reboot, the startup scripts
7 > showed the IP aliases being added and each said [ok] but they did not
8 > appear to be added at all. Did I do something wrong or is iproute2 not
9 > the right tool for the job? I switched back to ifconfig and the startup
10 > scripts work fine.
11
12 They're added, but they don't show up in the 'ifconfig' output. You'll see them
13 all if you run 'ip addr'.
14
15 > Also, each IP took a few seconds to add (this machine has 260 IPs!) - as
16 > you can imagine it took about 15 minutes to add all the IPs before the
17 > rest of the boot process could continue. Is there any way to speed this
18 > up? Maybe forego the "arping" check for every single IP added?
19
20 modules_eth0=( "!arping" )
21
22 > Final problem: I tried to force full-duplex on eth0 by using ethtool in
23 > the preup() function in /etc/conf.d/net. But now Im seeing errors like
24 > this on my console:
25
26 Why are you forcing it? The fact that you need to force it tells me that there's
27 something else wrong.
30 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
31 Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator
32 --
33 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list