From: Christian Spoo <mail@××××××××××××××.info>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: anyone deploy Gentoo as production servers
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 10:53:18
1 Am Montag, 4. September 2006 04:42 schrieb Mike Kelly:
2 > On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 18:11:12 +0200
3 >
4 > Christian Affolter <c.affolter@××××××××××××××.ch> wrote:
5 > > As soon as the shadow chroot patch [2] from GLEP 27 [3] is
6 > > implemented, we will be able to build striped down gentoo instances
7 > > without any development dependencies (with the help of the emerge
8 > > ROOT environment variable) in a sane and easy way.
9 > >
10 > > [2]
11 > > http://soc.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/glep0027/patches/shadow-4.0.16-chroot.pa
12 > >tch?rev=48&view=markup [3]
13 > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0027.html [4]
14 >
15 > Hello,
16 >
17 > Nice to be mentioned :-p
18 >
19 > In regards to the shadow chroot patch, I'm poking at that bit by bit,
20 > but I think that the upstream author is already considering doing
21 > something similar to this. I've got a good idea of what needs to be
22 > done when it is built w/o PAM, but when PAM comes into play, it gets
23 > tricky.
24 >
25 > In regards to the GLEP 27 stuff in general, I have a project which is
26 > still at a fairly alpha level, but I would appreciate contributions of
27 > auth system helper scripts for any and all architectures / userlands.
28 > I've written up some documentation with some examples [1]. Also, I'd
29 > appreciate folks who know packages well (like apache, etc) writing the
30 > proper user/group data files for them (this format is also
31 > documented[2]).
32 >
33 > For those a little more curious about how this system will ultimately
34 > integrate with portage and other package managers, you may wish to take
35 > a look at my API specifications[3] (now with flow charts!). Or, for
36 > those who are IRC-inclined, feel free to join me in #dynusers on
37 > freenode.
38 >
39 > I'll work on getting a more unified / up-to-date webpage[4] together
40 > about his project later this week.
41 >
42 > [1] http://www.pioto.org/~pioto/gentoo/soc2006/doc/auth_modules.html
43 > [2] http://www.pioto.org/~pioto/gentoo/soc2006/doc/datafiles.html
44 > [3] http://www.pioto.org/~pioto/gentoo/soc2006/doc/API.html
45 > [4] http://soc.pioto.org/
46
47 I know it's OT but considering your post in which you describe a possible
48 solution for GREP 27 I ask myself if we should think about deleting unused
49 users after uninstalling packages? Think of removing the apache user after
50 unmerging apache itself.
51
52 In recent Portage eclasses I never found functions like edeleteuser or
53 edeletegroup (or something similar) which might do those tasks. But I'm sure
54 it would be possible to implement them.