From: Mike Kelly <pioto@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Deleting Users / Groups from Packages (was: anyone deploy Gentoo as production servers)
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 13:32:18
1 On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 12:49:58 +0200
2 Christian Spoo <mail@××××××××××××××.info> wrote:
3
4 > I know it's OT but considering your post in which you describe a
5 > possible solution for GREP 27 I ask myself if we should think about
6 > deleting unused users after uninstalling packages? Think of removing
7 > the apache user after unmerging apache itself.
8 >
9 > In recent Portage eclasses I never found functions like edeleteuser
10 > or edeletegroup (or something similar) which might do those tasks.
11 > But I'm sure it would be possible to implement them.
12
13 In general, doing this automatically is a bad idea. It can leave your
14 system with files owned by no user. Also, adding something like this in
15 pkg_postrm in an ebuild would screw things up, as currently there is no
16 way for a package to know if it is being removed totally at that stage,
17 or if it is simply being updated.
18
19 My GLEP 27 implementation takes care of that action by a users-update
20 script. The operator runs that to scan the file system for any files
21 owned by a user or group, optionally removing them or chown-ing them to
22 0:0, then they can remove any unowned users.
25 Mike Kelly