From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] users of virtual domains
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 23:14:14
1 So I'm slowly getting my gentoo server in shape... and adding my first
2 virtual host client (heh, my cousin's DJ business website). I've set up
3 a vhost mapping in apache for her doc root and I've added her domain to
4 vpopmail. All is going well...
5
6 Except, it has occured to me that I would like to give her ssh/sftp
7 access (I don't want to be making changes for her every other day). I've
8 set up a user on the machine, but it makes me a little nervous. Not that
9 I'm worried about my cousin, but she's been known to give her password
10 to techie friends so that they can "help".
11
12 So, my question is, is there a way to restrict her user's movements in
13 the file system? It would be nice if she were only able to work within
14 her home directory.
15
16 When I log into my account with my old hosting company, I can cd up to
17 "/", but it's obviously not the machine's "/"... there's only about ten
18 commands under /bin and only our users under /home. Is this a UML setup?
19 Is there some other way to restrict movement?
20
21 Or maybe I should start making all sensitive files chown root and chmod 700?
22
23 Any all thoughts much appreciated...
24
25 Ben