From: Benjamin Coles <sj7trunks@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Newbie deploying a gentoo server
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:02:29
1 Luis,
2 Great to see your interested in running Gentoo as a server, I've
3 included a url below that deals with securing Gentoo. I personally like
4 grsec which is a security patch for the current kernel. You can simply
5 emerge grsec-sources or even my favorite wolk-sources although you can
6 only compile wolk to be a server OR a desktop. As for the services
7 you've listed you can find all the docs on www.gentoo.org under the docs
8 section. Just to give you a rundown on what you're looking at, emerge
9 apache mod_php mod_ssl will give you apache/php/perl cgi is mostly perl.
10 You'll have ftp which you can choose from the list of services and is
11 rather easy to setup if you follow the docs. Mysql is kind of tricky but
12 emerge it and follow the post installation instructions and your on your
13 way. As for ASP and frontpage extensions... I've never been fond of
14 frontpage extensions, always posed a big security risk. I haven't worked
15 with ASP myself so maybe someone else can give you that information. You
16 can find the setup of frontpage extensions on forums.gentoo.org and you
17 pretty much cleared out most the things you would use on a server, but
18 what about email? Good Luck!
19
20 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-security.xml
21