From: Martin Hajduch <martin.hajduch@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] installing outside of portage
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:32:06
2 > So, my question is, what are my risks here? Does this only mean that
3 > future "emerge world"s will leave bind behind?
4
5 yes, portage does not know that you have bind installed
6 unless ... have you unmerged gentoo's installation it before manual
7 install ?
8 if not, portage will update those files which are part of portage's bind
9 what it will do when you update bind depends on how much your manual
10 installation overlap with portage's installation
11
12 > Is there some other risk that I don't know about? If I just emerge
13 > bind again, will it hose the settings this guy did for us? (I would
14 > assume so.)
15
16 again, depends on whether you use the same location of configuration
17 files or not
18 in general, if the configuration is under /etc; this is included in
19 CONFIG_PROTECT by default, what means that the files are not overwritten
20 update will copy new (updated) files to these directories under new
21 names and will ask you to use etc-update to merge the changes
22
23 > Just how bad is it to have software (esp. important stuff like our
24 > name server) installed from outside the tree?
25
26 i run servers with custom applications
27 obviously, these applications are not from portage ;-); and it is the
28 most important part of the server
29 so i don't see anything bad on it
30
31 in your case, it is just waste of your time because (if you want to have
32 the same security as with portage) you should always check for new bind
33 versions/security patches
34 and manually update bind whenever security patch is available
35 portage can do this for you
36
37 i would suggest you to backup your current configuration, emerge bind;
38 use qpkg -l bind -> this will show you which files are part of gentoo's
39 bind installation and where they are located
40 it should be reasonably easy to replace them with your configuration
41 files, you may only need to replace file name references but that should
42 do it
43
44 you need to emerge gentoolkit in order to get qpkg tool
45
46 regards,
47 martin