From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] installing outside of portage
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 02:41:36
1 [Please excuse the rank newbie question.] My brother and I are
2 moderately experienced with linux and fairly new to gentoo. We recently
3 rented a gentoo server and I installed a bunch of software from the
4 portage tree. This included bind. However, when I went to set up bind, I
5 got confused. Wound up putting it off a couple times, and threw the
6 responsibility for configuring it off onto my brother.
7
8 Well, my brother enlisted the aid of a linux sysadmin friend of his. The
9 friend seems to know linux very well but is not familiar with gentoo.
10 When things did not work as he expected, he recompiled bind and set it
11 up from scratch. The result is that we now have a working install of
12 bind, but it is not from the portage tree.
13
14 So, my question is, what are my risks here? Does this only mean that
15 future "emerge world"s will leave bind behind? Is there some other risk
16 that I don't know about? If I just emerge bind again, will it hose the
17 settings this guy did for us? (I would assume so.) Just how bad is it to
18 have software (esp. important stuff like our name server) installed from
19 outside the tree?
20
21 Thanks,
22