From: Mike Crawford <mikecrfd@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Gentoo email services/programs
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:12:31
1 Andy Dustman wrote:
2
3 > William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
4 >
5 >> For example I looked into emerging courier-imap. Which for some reason
6 >> required xfree to be installed due to some dependency. That's rediculous
7 >> for a server to have x when it will not be used.
10 > Set USE=-X and you should be able to merge it without xfree. The
11 > actual xfree dependency comes from dev-tcltk/expect. I use
12 > courier-imap (though not on Gentoo at the moment) and would recommend
13 > it for use with qmail and/or Maildirs. It supplies a POP server as
14 > well. Both IMAP and POP come in the secure (SSL) varieties.
15 >
16 I recently built 2 stage 1 Gentoo servers at Fdcservers datacenter in
17 chicago over ssh intended to be used purely for virtual domain virtual
18 mail hosting and for shells. Those guys especially Luke are tremendous.
19 They don't officially support gentoo but one of the senior staff Luke is
20 very supportive and the staff will happily reboot a fresh box and inset
21 a 2.6 kernel livecd and support you through your build. We did not want
22 the servers to go installing xfree while we weren't looking... No way
23 anyone's gonna use xfree on em anyways... there totally headless. I
24 spotted this in my inbox and thought it worth mentoining that qt has an
25 xfree dependancy aswell. Here's the use flags i used to engineer both
26 servers.
27
28 USE="acl adns bcel bsh chroot curl dedicated directfb doc dvb fam fbcon gd \
29 glade gstreamer gtkhtml imagemagick imap informix innodb ipalias ipv6 \
30 jabber java javamail javascript jdepend jsch junit jython kerberos \
31 krb4 log4j maildir mbox mdb memlimit milter mmx mono mpi nptl objc \
32 oci8 openal optional-tasks oro ospfapi pcap pg-intdatetime \
33 pg-vacuumdelay php pic radius regexp rhino sasl socks5 svg tiff usagi \
34 virus-scan wmf wxwin X509 xalan xerces xml yaz zeo -oss -arts -avi \
35 -cups -foomaticdb -gpm -kde -gnome -mikmod -motif -qt -sdl -truetype \
36 -X -xmms -xv"