From: adam morley <adam-gentoo-server@×××.com>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] wolk-sources
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:40:07
1 On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 02:41:26PM -0400, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 02:29:48PM -0400 or thereabouts, Rev. Jeffrey Paul wrote:
3 > > I've encountered random odd freezes using gentoo-sources as well. What do
4 > > you usually use on production machines? When stability is key, I've found
5 > > myself using vanilla-sources and then manually patching grsec in, although
6 > > I admit I am not as informed about the other kernel source sets as I'd
7 > > like to be. Are there better alternatives for production servers?
8 >
9 > All our servers run either WOLK or vanilla+grsec. WOLK is generally my
10 > first choice, but 4.9 had some problems with ACPI and hyperthreading on SMP
11 > machines which, as I understand it, have since been fixed on 4.10pre
12 >
13 > I've heard some of the other developers say good things about both
14 > ac-sources and aa-sources. Never used either of those myseflf.
15
16 I've always liked Alan Cox's patch sets ever since back when I ran debian, but I must admit I like wolk a lot more. I have had one persnickity problem I've been trying to track down with wolk and the qlogic v6 series driver for their fibre channel HBAs, namely that the module builds fine but thinks the cable is unplugged *each* time the module is first loaded (a rmmod and then insmod later works fine, after the first failure). Its really wacky, and I haven't had time to figure out what it is specifically --- the driver worked fine with vanilla, gentoo and the liveCD kernels.
17
18 If anybody else has seen it, let me know. I've been putting off figuring it out for a bit though, so it might've already been fixed (this was 4.3/4.4 timeframe with wolk).
19
20 Obviously, qlogic isn't terribly helpful as they only support redhat's kernel.
21
22 FWIW, when I first saw wolk I was initially suspicious just because I'd never heard of it, but after looking at all the work that goes into it, and the people who are running it, I decided it was more than sufficient for my use.
23
24 thanks,
27 adam