From: Karl Hiramoto <karl@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] home rsync server
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 13:45:03
1 Alex wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > at home i have an router and 3 clients all running gentoo.
5 > This is just crying after an home rsync server like described here ->
6 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Local_Rsync_Mirror
7 >
8 > After read this i thought if it wouldn't be better to just export
9 > "/usr/portage" via nfs to every client in my network, and run "emerge --sync" once
10 > 1 day on my router. This has the advantage that the clients don't need
11 > to waste the drive space for the ebuilds, and i can save time for
12 > downloading distfiles.
13 > The only thing on the client is to make an "emerge --metadata".
14 >
15 > Would this work or have i forgotten something?
16 >
17 > greetz
18 > alex
21 This is what I do, NFS /usr/portage as you say it works a lot
22 better for speeding up download of distfiles and saves a lot of bandwith
23 and space.
24
25 NFS though you would only want to use in a trusted environment, or
26 restrict who has write access to the NFS..
27
28 The rsync mirror method can be used by untrusted clients.
31 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list