From: Steve Arnold <sarnold@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Re: My stab at a 2.4.22 "server" patch
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 19:44:16
1 On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 15:05:48 +0000
2 Kerin Millar <kerin@×××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > further to my recent post about getting a new patch going for
7 > 2.4.22, I have started working on it and a first release is
8 > available. You can read more about it here:
9 >
10 > http://www.recruit2recruit.net/kerframil/patches.html
11 [snip]
12
13 Kerframil:
14
15 I think you've hit the nail on the head here, as the kernel seems to
16 be the one thing in Gentoo I haven't been happy with lately; I've
17 tried many, including making that Planet CCRMA sources ebuild in an
18 attempt to get something like the performance I get with rh9 and the
19 binary CCRMA kernel. I still haven't done it yet...
20
21 My one recommendation now would be to drop the lm_sensor patches (or
22 don't include them) but make sure i2c is current. Maybe you could
23 even do a local use flag for stable/dev branches (I don't know what
24 the i2c state is right now, so maybe that's a moot point).
25
26 I'm not sure about 2.4.22, but the earlier kernel tree included a
27 rather stale set of i2c modules (and no lm_sensors), whereas wolk
28 includes updated versions of both. The latter approach seems handy
29 from one perspective, however, it somewhat collides with the
30 lm_sensors package (since both the i2c and lm_sensors ebuilds
31 over-write any existing kernel modules).
32
33 I'm not sure if that's very clear, but the lm_sensor ebuild includes
34 both the user-space tools and modules; since a set of kernel
35 patches only includes the sensor modules, it's only partially
36 usable.
37
38 Depending on the age/version of the kernel i2c code, I think
39 adding a set of i2c patches (maybe one for each branch, since both
40 branches are in gentoo already) is the best way to go. Most of the
41 kernel sources I've tried in the last few months update at least
42 i2c, if not both update i2c/add lm_sensors.
43
44 Well, that's my $.02 (other than offering encouragement). Of
45 course, I can't offer much in the way of real help until my
46 crap-load of work gets at least a little smaller.
47
48 I'm also still digesting turkey, pie, etc, from yesterday, so my
49 brain is probably still not getting enough blood...
50
51 Steve/Nerdboy
54 Steve Arnold http://arnolds.dhs.org http://www.gentoo.org
55
56 with Std.Disclaimer; use Std.Disclaimer;