From: Kerin Millar <kerin@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] kernel oops
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:44:46
1 On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 18:14 +0300, Alex Efros wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 02:40:17PM +0100, Kerin Millar wrote:
5 > > Ouch, that's a nasty one. I suspect dabbling in sources variations will
6 > > not help a great deal because the gentoo-dev-sources are so lightly
7 > > patched in the first place. If anything, try 2.6.9-rc3. I performed a
8 > > cusory glance over the ChangeLog for "[NETFILTER]" and, while a few
9 > > patches have been applied, there was nothing that immediately suggested
10 > > that it would alleviate your problem.
11 >
12 > Is anybody know why all mm-sources masked? Only kernel which never hangs on
13 > my server was 2.6.5 from mm-sources, but I was forced to upgrade from 2.6.5
14 > to 2.6.7 some time ago because of some GLSA and I was unable to continue
15 > using -mm because at that time (and now too) all mm-sources was masked.
16
17 It's good that it worked out for you, but most people could testify to
18 the contrary. The case is basically this:
19
20 * Andrew Morton is the 2.6 maintainer
21 * His branch is a _highly_ experimental playground for code which may or
22 may not make it mainline later.
23 * Frequently, massively experimental code makes it own only to be
24 removed/changed in the next revision
25
26 Having said that, Andrew Morton is a superb bug fixer and he often
27 corrects various bugs ahead of time in his branch. It's an interesting
28 patchset in which to look for fixes - however I would say that, in the
29 vast majority of cases, it is madness to consider his branch for
30 production use. There are no guarantees whatsoever, and there is no
31 mandate that it should be remotely stable; this is why they are masked.
32 Not that there's anything to stop you unmasking the ebuilds (or even
33 grabbing an old one from the CVS Attic and adding the security fixes
34 yourself).
35
36 If you are saying that a modern, mainline instance of 2.6 is not stable
37 on your system then it would tend to suggest that something important
38 never made it mainline. You might want to review the ChangeLog for the
39 instance of -mm that you used to use. You might also want to take this
40 to the LKML. Also, Greg Kroah-Hartman is an uber-hacker and also happens
41 to be the gentoo-dev-sources maintainer. Perhaps if you ask him nicely
42 for advice, he might be able to point you in the right direction in
43 terms of determining just /why/ a newer kernel would not be stable where
44 an older, experimental one was.
45
46 Regards,
47