From: Robert Larson <robert@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Chkrootkit report port 465 INFECTED
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:49:13
1 On Friday 24 March 2006 05:38 am, Paul Kölle wrote:
2 > 王 鹏辉 wrote:
3 > > Hello, list,
4 > >
5 > > Recently, i found that my emails server has sent out mess spam emails by
6 > > some strange account from xxx@×××××.com. I run chkrootkit then found that
7 > >
8 > > bindshell INFECTED (PORTS: 465)
9 >
10 > Me too. AFAIK it's a false positive. This is stated in a chkrootkit FAQ
11 > whose URL slipped out of my memory but I found it by google.
12
13 I can verify this as it has been a false positive for me in the past. I would
14 highly recommend, before passing it off as a false positive, check to see
15 what is listening on this port. I've heard that Exim uses this, and
16 PortSentry does as well. "netstat -nap --ip" should show it. Also, you may
17 use "lsof | grep TCP".
18
19 If you find a suspect file, script, or program, (or if you suspect your
20 'netstat' and 'lsof' binaries contain rootkits) try running:
21 equery belongs <path to file>
22 This should tell you to which package it belongs. Then to verify that it is
23 the same file that was installed, you can try:
24 equery check <package that was listed above>
25
26 Since you are having spam issues, I would recommend looking into seeing if
27 your mail server is an open relay. Here are a few ways to test this:
28 http://www.spamhelp.org/shopenrelay/
29 http://www.abuse.net/relay.html
30
31 This one has a list of links pertaining to ways you can test for open relay:
32 http://www.linux-sec.net/Mail/OpenRelay/
35 Hope this helps!
38 Robert Larson
41 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list