From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@×××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: Sieve & Plus Addressing
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 15:35:47
1 On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 08:04 -0600, MIkey wrote:
2 > Ow Mun Heng wrote:
3 >
4 > > Having looked at it. (not installed, read the doc etc) seems like it it
5 > > provides mail-filtering capabilities and vacation messages etc to the
6 > > end-user. I'm not very sure about acls since I didn't see it in
7 > > action(so most likely will dabble with it and play around)
8 >
9 > >From what I have tried, horde is the best on the client side as far as
10 > letting the users handle their sieve scripts, vacation, change password,
11 > manage subscriptions, etc... It handles virtual domains and
12 > altnamespace/unixhierarchy acceptably also.
15 I'm presuming you're talking about horde-imp. (seems like there's a
16 truckload of horde packages in portage)
17
18 Horde is, from my limited viewpoint, on looking at it's website, seems
19 to be mainly a web-based email client. I don't like web-based clients
20 too much. Prefer something like Evo(which I need for exchange connection
21 functionality. I know, evil, but still...)
22
23 > > Right now, I'm using plus-addressing with postfix and cyrus. My aim is
24 > > to have different mail addresses to post into diff folders automaticaly.
25 > > Right now, it seems to be working on my little testbed.
26 >
27 > Why not just set up "standard" addresses?
28 Presume this means
29 user1@×××××××.com
30 user100@×××××××.com
31 etc..
32
33 > Won't you have to add aliases for
34 > every user who wants to receive email?
35 Add aliases? Huh? I don't understand, or perhaps you don't understand
36 how plus addressing works? With Cyrus+postfix(and sendmail) plus address
37 is just like
38
39 INBOX
40 --fedora
41 --gentoo
42 --gentoo-server
43 --misc
44
45 then I have an email
46 user1+fedora@×××××××.com
47 user1+gentoo-server@×××××××.com
48 user1+misc@×××××××.com
49
50 and mails will miraculously appear sorted in each respective folder
51 without any need for me to do any filters on the client side. (though it
52 will add headache for the user, me, to rememeber all of those emails.
53 Imagine if I have/am subscribed to 100 mail lists etc.
54
55 The only pre-requisite that's needed is for the folder in question be
56 1. Be all in lower-case (this is due to either postfix/cyrus limitation
57 in case sensitive-ness)
58 2. have the "anyone p" flag
59
60 > I generally stick to the bulletin
61 > boards for things like spam dropboxes, user announcements, tech notes for
62 > users, etc...
63
64 BUlletion boards? You mean shared folders? (Haven't played with that
65 yet. Will be looked at)
68 Ow Mun Heng
69 Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz 1.5GB RAM
70 98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!
71 Neuromancer 23:22:14 up 16:00, 4 users, load average: 1.79, 1.02, 0.66
75 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list