From: Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Binary packages ideia
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:54:18
1 José Costa said:
2 > Well, I can define profiles with specific use flags and use profiles
3 > to define which packages will be emerged in specific machines.
4 >
5 > The subprofile thingy was for separating the desktop profile from the
6 > server profile... from the server with apache/tomcat, server with
7 > oracle... blablabla. Creating profiles for types of machines.
8 >
9 > Using multiple chroot environments it's really a pain in the ass. Is
10 > there no other way to do it?
11
12 I can't find any other decent solution. Just setting the USE information
13 in the packages isn't sufficient, you would need to save the CFLAGS and
14 other stuff as well.
15
16 Because of all the possible settings (and the major consequences these
17 might have) all systems that use the binaries do not set individual use
18 flags themselves: everything is either in profile, or in the (common)
19 /etc/portage directory. Just as if it was a binary distribution.
20 --
21 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list