From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] (draft) final report for OpenRC soc project 2012
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 15:07:24
1 On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 6:46 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 > We already have patches to fix things thanks to Polynomial-C aka. Lars
3 > Wendler. See:
4 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~polynomial-c/udev/
5 >
6 > Now we only need to motivate our maintainers to use the openrc useflag
7 > to fix udev properly.
8
9 Hmm, only a 53K patch. Why not just fork the thing? Heaven forbid
10 maybe that might actually get everybody to agree on virtualizing it
11 which would seem to make everybody happy anyway.
12
13 And I'm not all that keen on having so many changes controlled by a
14 use flag, unless it were part of some kind of agreed-upon transition
15 plan like with KDE back in the move to /usr. It is like having two
16 different packages in one anyway.
17
18 Keep in mind that motivation in a volunteer-based project generally
19 does not include hitting somebody over the head until they quit. It
20 is also generally the case that package maintainers tend to be aligned
21 with upstream, since if they didn't have a strong interest in the
22 package they probably wouldn't be maintaining it in the first place.
23 If somebody submitted a 53K patch to just about any other team in
24 Gentoo they'd be told to take it upstream. Heck, Gentoo paid for a
25 patch to git and we didn't even apply our own patch until upstream
26 refined and merged it (though we did backport it - and I think all of
27 this is exactly how it should have been done).
28
29 Rich