From: Andrey Kislyuk <weaver@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Interest in idea 2.16: SCM snapshot management infrastructure or 2.1: Add "tags" support to Portage
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 13:55:41
1 Hi Nils, thanks for your interest.
2
3 > First of, it seems that this daemon will run on a privileged machine that is
4 > capable of uploading files into the gentoo infrastructure, but it also has
5 > to deal with no official ebuilds. This does seem rather paradoxical to me.
6 > Or is it located on the users machine, and then only downloads these
7 > snapshots?
8
9 The proposal states that unprivileged ebuilds will not be served by
10 the infrastructure. What this means is that the daemon will scan the
11 main tree repo and registered overlays (those in Layman and/or on
12 overlays.gentoo.org) for ebuilds using its eclass/format. Unofficial
13 ebuilds (those not uploaded to the above locations) are excluded in
14 the sense that the daemon never sees them. The eclass would be
15 responsible for making unofficial ebuilds behave like live ebuilds.
16
17 > Secondly, I understand this as a way to have a mirror periodically check the
18 > upstream repository for changed, and then respond by notifying the
19 > maintainer. Ebuilds will be left using these snapshots, which seems like a
20 > rather small improvement over the current system.
21
22 Yes, that's the way it should work. The whole idea of snapshots is to
23 provide stability. If the upstream repo changed, the maintainer needs
24 to go and see what changed and how that will affect the package. It
25 might seem like a small step, but for projects that never produce
26 official source snapshots, it's a big step to me.
27
28 > Or is this a system where the daemon sits in the in the infrastructure and
29 > creates the snapshot automatically once an ebuild is provided, and maybe
30 > even then automatically creates new versioned snapshots and ebuilds based on
31 > the new versions of the source code, and places these on the master mirror
32 > to be distributed. Maybe with some sort of maintainer having to sign of on
33 > the new version though?
34
35 You could experiment with that, but the first step is to make a daemon
36 that reacts only to new ebuilds that "ask" for snapshots, for the
37 reasons I mentioned above.
38
39 > And thirdly, there is currently no mentor for this project. Would anyone be
40 > interested in working with me on this?
41
42 You'll have to spam the infra team to see if anyone is interested. I
43 can clarify the details but I'm not sure if I can serve as a mentor
44 for this... maybe if nobody responds to my collision checking project
45 idea.
46
47 -ak