From: Nils <nils.schlupp@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: zmedico@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Interest in idea 2.16: SCM snapshot management infrastructure or 2.1: Add "tags" support to Portage
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 04:57:15
1 Hello,
2 I am currently interested in working on implementing a better way to work
3 SCM ebuilds into gentoo. Looking at the description, I just wanted to
4 clarify a few things.
5
6 First of, it seems that this daemon will run on a privileged machine that is
7 capable of uploading files into the gentoo infrastructure, but it also has
8 to deal with no official ebuilds. This does seem rather paradoxical to me.
9 Or is it located on the users machine, and then only downloads these
10 snapshots?
11
12 Secondly, I understand this as a way to have a mirror periodically check the
13 upstream repository for changed, and then respond by notifying the
14 maintainer. Ebuilds will be left using these snapshots, which seems like a
15 rather small improvement over the current system.
18 Or is this a system where the daemon sits in the in the infrastructure and
19 creates the snapshot automatically once an ebuild is provided, and maybe
20 even then automatically creates new versioned snapshots and ebuilds based on
21 the new versions of the source code, and places these on the master mirror
22 to be distributed. Maybe with some sort of maintainer having to sign of on
23 the new version though?
26 And thirdly, there is currently no mentor for this project. Would anyone be
27 interested in working with me on this?
31 Also, I was interested in the “Tags” idea. It does seem rather simple to
32 implement these into the ebuilds as just a TAGS variable, and parsing should
33 not be a too big challenge, but I was wondering how this would tie into
34 existing search options. Would we add an -T option to search through tags?
35 Would the AND keyword trigger a tag search, or should any word in the search
36 string be matched against the tags as well as the package name?
40 Thanks in advance to any clarification,
41
42 Nils Schlupp