From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] [report 6.11-6.17] Daemons in Gentoo Prefix with OpenRC
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 09:19:29
1 On 06/21/2012 09:13 AM, heroxbd@×××××.com wrote:
2 > Hey Luca,
3 >
4 > Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> writes:
5 >
6 >> Let's try to get the basis of evaluation for a boot system:
7 >>
8 >> - The checklist on the openrc wiki
9 >
10 > ok, at present we have sysvinit, Upstart, systemd and OpenRC. I will try
11 > to add smf and launchd in the same style.
12 >
13 >> - boot time
14 >> - how many seconds to go from boot to desktop?
15 >> - how many seconds to go from boot to *usable* desktop?
16 >> Beware that some systems use a number of stupid (IMHO) tricks to
17 >> to get the first number down, so you end up with a desktop but
18 >> not fully usable. (Hi MacOSX Lion)
19 >> - how many seconds to get the network up and a service running?
20 >> - shutdown time
21 >> - how many seconds to go from running to halt?
22 >> Apparently people care about it as well
23 >
24 > Hmm, let me try. I guess they can be just a raw reference. because the
25 > software and hardware involved are different.
26
27 I guess you could prepare something (look at bootchart2) and document
28 how to use it and make examples, then hopefully call for users with
29 similar hardware or time and resources to setup some vm.
30
31 lu
36 Luca Barbato
37 Gentoo/linux