From: Eric Thibodeau <kyron@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: meetanshu gupta <meetanshu.gupta@×××××.com>, Ajith Kamath <sjce.ajith@×××××.com>, tstellar@×××××.com
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Re: GSoc 2009 : Making the cluster LiveCD bootable from USB
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 23:18:11
2 Ajith Kamath, in both cases the impression is that the project is simply
3 to port the bootable CD to USB disk. Here is are _some_ clarifications:
4
5 - The wiki's¹ description is misleading, booting to USB was ONE of my
6 suggestions with a little more details here². Quite frankly, porting to
7 USB should be somewhat trivial. The hardest part is to being very
8 methodical and making sure the process can be reproduced using, ideally,
9 Catalyst and little outside scripting. All of this also implies getting
10 the catalyst specs up to date, modifying/removing many hacks that would
11 no longer be required for a USB based boot (since we would now have an
12 RW system). *** root on JFFS2 might be of interest here ***... and so on.
13
14 - AuFS is used as an overlay system and is required for the NFS-booted
15 nodes. One might want to migrate that to a less efficient tmpfs approach
16 (ref: LTSP implementation as being done under Gentoo too).
17 - Change most of the scripts to use dialog and automate some
18 detection/ask questions as per what was discovered.
19 - ... and so on, the idea would be to implement my original proposal and
20 push it further. I do have it but want some feedback before I dig it out
21 and re-post it (Donnie, thought you had posted it as an example? If not
22 so, feel free to do so if it's still relevant.)
23
24 ¹: the wiki:
25 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/2009_Summer_Of_Code_Ideas#Make_the_clustering_LiveCD_from_last_year.27s_GSoC_bootable_from_USB
26
27 ²: Donnie's wordpress:
28 http://dberkholz.wordpress.com/2009/02/19/planning-for-gentoo-in-the-2009-summer-of-code/
31 Eric Thibodeau
32 PS: I'm keeping anyone interested in the project in the loop... Some
33 have already started getting familiarized with the code base at
34 http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/clustering-livecd.git;a=tree
35 ...I strongly urge anyone interested in the project to get familiar with
36 using catalyst and the contents of the git!