From: xqyz <xqyzii@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Graphical portage front-end
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 11:25:52
1 On 20 March 2010 11:16, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Last year we had a project for PackageKit integration that was never
4 > integrated into the main tree. I would rather continue that work and
5 > then any PackageKit GUI could be used with Portage.
8 I agree, it would indeed be nice to have a portage integration in
9 PackageKit, but given the rather unique way of handling packages in Gentoo,
10 I would consider PackageKit to be a rather poor choice for a package
11 manager.
12 USE flags, inability to resolve circular dependencies properly and of course
13 the advanced compile configuration that Gentoo offers are hard, if not
14 impossible to be handled by PackageKit. Which is why I think that, even if
15 there was a working integration of portage, it would not be used much. The
16 problem with Gentoo is that it more often than not requires the users to
17 make a choice instead of just settling for a package and clicking install.
18
19 --Patrick Lerner