From: Brian Dolbec <brian.dolbec@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] interested in Gentoo/Java IDE integration
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 01:50:15
1 On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 15:25 +0000, Kyle Pan wrote:
2 > Hi Serkan,
3 >
4 > Firstly many thanks for your kind and quick reply:)
5 >
6 > > 1. get to know the mechanism of how eclipse in gentoo finding system
7 > > library currently and fix it.(or develop a plug-in to find system
8 > > library? )( currently I'm still not clear how eclipse in gentoo find
9 > > system libraries.I'm going to investigate it if this is right way to
10 > > the project)
11 > Yes, that's what I have in mind. We can already enumerate a list of
12 > installed libraries along with what jars, jni libs,source code javadoc
13 > it has. We can also get a list of dependencies of a library as well.
14 > This is mostly Python code and Portage is also in Python. Jython may
15 > help you in integration here.
16 >
17 > ---------I don't know whether this understanding is correct or not:
18 > the code that already have for emuerating a list of installed
19 > libraries(along with other things required) is writen in Python. And I
20 > can use the result of this code. And Could you expain more detail
21 > about "Python may help me integration".
22 > And also, Could you kindly give me an use case of this part of
23 > job(just like my explain the 2nd part blow), I think it would be very
24 > helpful to me to catch it more clearly and correctly:)
28 > > 2. let PackageKit to work with Portage in order to automatically
29 > > download missed system library based on imports declaration when the
30 > > user is coding.
31 > I didn't plan this as part of the project. Please explain this in more details.
32 > ----------------------PackageKit is a package management tool that can
33 > use apt, yum, pcman etc as its back-end.Now I don't know if it can
34 > use emerge backend and I'll verify it later.This part of job's mainly
35 > function can be described as the following use case:
36 > User A is coding in eclipse. He/She typed "import A.B.C.D;",which is a
37 > class/package in one of the System library but the library has not
38 > installed on the machine(of course ,portage tree should contains the
39 > library's ebuilds). Then thanks to the this part of the job, it is
40 > automactically downloaded and installed.
41 > I've also don't clear why PackageKit should be used(I think revoking
42 > emerge is sufficient,though I'm not very sure,and what your opionion
43 > is?) Since PackageKit is metioned in idealist, so there should be some
44 > reasons I not know for using it?
45 > Anyway, I believe addressing this use case letting it doing
46 > automatically is very meaningful, even PackageKit doesn't been
47 > used(just invoking emerge).
51 Packagekit already has a portage backend, so it can be used on a gentoo
52 system. But I believe you have the wrong info there about needing to
53 use packagekit. I would go with what Serkan says about java
54 dependencies and how they map to gentoo packages.
58 > PS.
59 > According to the idealist page ,I am required to take the action of "
60 > fix a real bug reported in Bugzilla to show that I can use the tools
61 > to make a meaningful change" before application and said my contract
62 > can help me determine which SCM and repository I should use for this.
63 > Would you mind help that tell me which SCM and repository and guide me
64 > instrctions to fix a proper bug?
65 >
66 > Thanks a lot.
67 >