From: Kyle Pan <kyle.j.pan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] interested in Gentoo/Java IDE integration
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 15:26:12
1 Hi Serkan,
2
3 Firstly many thanks for your kind and quick reply:)
4
5 > 1. get to know the mechanism of how eclipse in gentoo finding system
6 > library currently and fix it.(or develop a plug-in to find system
7 > library? )( currently I'm still not clear how eclipse in gentoo find
8 > system libraries.I'm going to investigate it if this is right way to
9 > the project)
10 Yes, that's what I have in mind. We can already enumerate a list of
11 installed libraries along with what jars, jni libs,source code javadoc
12 it has. We can also get a list of dependencies of a library as well.
13 This is mostly Python code and Portage is also in Python. Jython may
14 help you in integration here.
15
16 ---------I don't know whether this understanding is correct or not:
17 the code that already have for emuerating a list of installed
18 libraries(along with other things required) is writen in Python. And I
19 can use the result of this code. And Could you expain more detail
20 about "Python may help me integration".
21 And also, Could you kindly give me an use case of this part of
22 job(just like my explain the 2nd part blow), I think it would be very
23 helpful to me to catch it more clearly and correctly:)
27 > 2. let PackageKit to work with Portage in order to automatically
28 > download missed system library based on imports declaration when the
29 > user is coding.
30 I didn't plan this as part of the project. Please explain this in more details.
31 ----------------------PackageKit is a package management tool that can
32 use apt, yum, pcman etc as its back-end.Now I don't know if it can
33 use emerge backend and I'll verify it later.This part of job's mainly
34 function can be described as the following use case:
35 User A is coding in eclipse. He/She typed "import A.B.C.D;",which is a
36 class/package in one of the System library but the library has not
37 installed on the machine(of course ,portage tree should contains the
38 library's ebuilds). Then thanks to the this part of the job, it is
39 automactically downloaded and installed.
40 I've also don't clear why PackageKit should be used(I think revoking
41 emerge is sufficient,though I'm not very sure,and what your opionion
42 is?) Since PackageKit is metioned in idealist, so there should be some
43 reasons I not know for using it?
44 Anyway, I believe addressing this use case letting it doing
45 automatically is very meaningful, even PackageKit doesn't been
46 used(just invoking emerge).
49 PS.
50 According to the idealist page ,I am required to take the action of "
51 fix a real bug reported in Bugzilla to show that I can use the tools
52 to make a meaningful change" before application and said my contract
53 can help me determine which SCM and repository I should use for this.
54 Would you mind help that tell me which SCM and repository and guide me
55 instrctions to fix a proper bug?
56
57 Thanks a lot.
58