From: heroxbd@×××××.com
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] (draft) final report for OpenRC soc project 2012
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 15:10:18
1 Dear Luca,
2
3 heroxbd@×××××.com writes:
4
5 >>> 4. OOM killer/periodical command
6 >>>
7 >>> Not implemented here, tested with monit (http://mmonit.com/monit/)
8 >>> and fcron (http://fcron.free.fr/). No integration or modification is
9 >>> need in OpenRC, unlike runit. At most, we can introduce a
10 >>> IN_PERIODICAL envvar, as how IN_HOTPLUG works.
11 >>
12 >> I'd like to have more information here.
13 >
14 > Got it, preparing...
15
16 For monitoring against OOM http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Monit
17
18 cron/at is too general to document, there is one at
19
20 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/cron-guide.xml
21
22 upstart is designed to replace cron
23
24 http://upstart.ubuntu.com/wiki/ReplaceCron
25
26 systemd recommends to replace cron
27
28 http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Optimizations
29
30 while OpenRC just work with it. For some fancy new feature to be used on
31 non-servers, like "run every 5 minutes after start up", fcron can be
32 used.
33
34 >>> 5. event driven actions
35 >>>
36 >>> Same as hotplug feature already in OpenRC, triggered by udev, just
37 >>> lack of documentation. If used with runlevel stacking (another under
38 >>> documented feature of OpenRC), it can cover all the use cases I could
39 >>> imagine.
40 >>>
41 >>> That's enough. upstart features a udev-upstart-bridge after all. It
42 >>> is a cool feature and we can adopt it with a combo of tools and
43 >>> achieve sane default behavior by packaging with, e.g., our beloved
44 >>> ebuild. The revolutionary event based init design is more of
45 >>> propaganding, IMHO.
46 >>
47 >> I'd like to see a wiki page or some more on that =)
48 >
49 > Got it, underway...
50
51 A stub page is below. Still thinking of how to present it. May be we can
52 just load it with examples which covers all the cases upstart being
53 proud of.
54
55 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC/Event_Driven
58 >>> Succeeded, thinking of documenting it in wiki.
59 >
60 > Got it.
61
62 Together with stacked runlevel.