From: heroxbd@×××××.com
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] (draft) final report for OpenRC soc project 2012
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 09:17:20
1 Dear Luca,
2
3 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> writes:
4
5 > On 8/15/12 5:14 PM, heroxbd@×××××.com wrote:
6 >> 1. Prefix support of OpenRC
7 >
8 > And it looks quite nice
9
10 Thanks :)
11
12 >> 2. A evaluation of existing init systems
13 >>
14 >> This includes solaris SMF, Mac OSX launchd, Fedora systemd, OpenSUSE
15 >> systemd/LSB combo, Ubuntu upstart and Debian LSB/insserv combo.
16 >
17 > Were is it? I'd like to read it =)
18
19 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Comparison_of_init_systems
20
21 And the "counter systemd" talk page,
22
23 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Talk:Comparison_of_init_systems
24
25 >> 3. service supervisor
26 >>
27 >> achieved via runit, doc at
28 >> http://www.awa.tohoku.ac.jp/~benda/projects/runit.html
29 >>
30 >> will move to wiki after runit feature is pulled in my WilliamH.
31 >>
32 >> git repo:
33 >> http://git.heroxbd.z.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn/openrc.git?p=openrc.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/runit
34 >>
35 >> This is a cool feature, while it have changes to default behavior of
36 >> OpenRC initscripts. Therefore documenting it comprehensively is
37 >> necessary. A GLEP will be composed to serve as an RFC for the Gentoo
38 >> community, official explanation and general guideline to simplify
39 >> present (already simplified compared to LSB conterparts) init scripts
40 >> shipped in ebuilds.
41 >>
42 >> btw, s6 (http://www.skarnet.org/software/s6/why.html) is a better
43 >> alternative to runit.
44 >
45 > Seems interesting indeed, would you consider working on it later?
46
47 Yes, the plan is,
48
49 a. finish the GLEP, raise to gentoo-dev ml, get it accepted.
50 with the reference implementation
51 b. refine the runit branch according to the accepted GLEP, push into
52 OpenRC master and make an OpenRC release. The build system should
53 make this feature optional and tunable with USE flags in openrc ebuild.
54 c. bug ebuild maintainers for possible polishing of their init
55 scripts, referring the GLEP.
56
57 >> 4. OOM killer/periodical command
58 >>
59 >> Not implemented here, tested with monit (http://mmonit.com/monit/)
60 >> and fcron (http://fcron.free.fr/). No integration or modification is
61 >> need in OpenRC, unlike runit. At most, we can introduce a
62 >> IN_PERIODICAL envvar, as how IN_HOTPLUG works.
63 >
64 > I'd like to have more information here.
65
66 Got it, preparing...
67
68 >> 5. event driven actions
69 >>
70 >> Same as hotplug feature already in OpenRC, triggered by udev, just
71 >> lack of documentation. If used with runlevel stacking (another under
72 >> documented feature of OpenRC), it can cover all the use cases I could
73 >> imagine.
74 >>
75 >> That's enough. upstart features a udev-upstart-bridge after all. It
76 >> is a cool feature and we can adopt it with a combo of tools and
77 >> achieve sane default behavior by packaging with, e.g., our beloved
78 >> ebuild. The revolutionary event based init design is more of
79 >> propaganding, IMHO.
80 >
81 > I'd like to see a wiki page or some more on that =)
82
83 Got it, underway...
84
85 >> 6. OpenRC introduction to debian
86 >>
87 >> documented at
88 >> http://wiki.debian.org/OpenRC
89 >>
90 >> git repo:
91 >> http://git.heroxbd.z.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn/openrc.git?p=openrc.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/debian
92 >>
93 >> ITP bug:
94 >> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=684396
95 >>
96 >> on going debian packaging collaboration
97 >> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/openrc.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/debian
98 >>
99 >> I will work closely with the debian team. Hope debian can stand
100 >> against the gigantic storm of systemd.
101 >
102 > Looks great so far and coordination is great
103
104 Thanks :)
105
106 >> Tried systemd on OpenSUSE, disappointed by its ini unit files. At
107 >> present don't see the necessity for a parser.
108 >
109 > The unit file feature is something touted a lot, why you found it
110 > disappointing?
111
112 It's just plain ini, no black magic to prepare my coffee :D
113
114 BTW, any reference pointer to classical "touted" articles?
115
116 >>>> another plan for today
117 >>>>
118 >>>> install newest ubuntu to try out upstart natively. Make a draft
119 >>>> event driven system on my laptop(debian) by newly packaged OpenRC with
120 >>>> incron/inotify extension.
121 >>
122 >> incron not needed, it is for filesystem after all. udev + hotplug@OpenRC
123 >> do the job.
124 >
125 > More should be said on that =)
126
127 Ok, same as event driven topic as above. underway...
128
129 >> Succeeded, thinking of documenting it in wiki.
130
131 Got it.
132
133 Yours,