From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] (draft) final report for OpenRC soc project 2012
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 00:07:05
1 On 8/15/12 5:14 PM, heroxbd@×××××.com wrote:
2 > Dear guys and gals,
3 >
4 > For the soft pencil down, I'd like to aggregate a report for the overall
5 > status for my project.
6 >
7 > The goals have been achieved:
8 >
9 > 1. Prefix support of OpenRC
10
11 And it looks quite nice
12
13 > 2. A evaluation of existing init systems
14 >
15 > This includes solaris SMF, Mac OSX launchd, Fedora systemd, OpenSUSE
16 > systemd/LSB combo, Ubuntu upstart and Debian LSB/insserv combo.
17
18 Were is it? I'd like to read it =)
19
20 > 3. service supervisor
21 >
22 > achieved via runit, doc at
23 > http://www.awa.tohoku.ac.jp/~benda/projects/runit.html
24 >
25 > will move to wiki after runit feature is pulled in my WilliamH.
26 >
27 > git repo:
28 > http://git.heroxbd.z.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn/openrc.git?p=openrc.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/runit
29 >
30 > This is a cool feature, while it have changes to default behavior of
31 > OpenRC initscripts. Therefore documenting it comprehensively is
32 > necessary. A GLEP will be composed to serve as an RFC for the Gentoo
33 > community, official explanation and general guideline to simplify
34 > present (already simplified compared to LSB conterparts) init scripts
35 > shipped in ebuilds.
36 >
37 > btw, s6 (http://www.skarnet.org/software/s6/why.html) is a better
38 > alternative to runit.
39
40 Seems interesting indeed, would you consider working on it later?
41
42 > 4. OOM killer/periodical command
43 >
44 > Not implemented here, tested with monit (http://mmonit.com/monit/)
45 > and fcron (http://fcron.free.fr/). No integration or modification is
46 > need in OpenRC, unlike runit. At most, we can introduce a
47 > IN_PERIODICAL envvar, as how IN_HOTPLUG works.
48
49 I'd like to have more information here.
50
51 > 5. event driven actions
52 >
53 > Same as hotplug feature already in OpenRC, triggered by udev, just
54 > lack of documentation. If used with runlevel stacking (another under
55 > documented feature of OpenRC), it can cover all the use cases I could
56 > imagine.
57 >
58 > That's enough. upstart features a udev-upstart-bridge after all. It
59 > is a cool feature and we can adopt it with a combo of tools and
60 > achieve sane default behavior by packaging with, e.g., our beloved
61 > ebuild. The revolutionary event based init design is more of
62 > propaganding, IMHO.
63
64 I'd like to see a wiki page or some more on that =)
65
66 > 6. OpenRC introduction to debian
67 >
68 > documented at
69 > http://wiki.debian.org/OpenRC
70 >
71 > git repo:
72 > http://git.heroxbd.z.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn/openrc.git?p=openrc.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/debian
73 >
74 > ITP bug:
75 > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=684396
76 >
77 > on going debian packaging collaboration
78 > http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/openrc.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/debian
79 >
80 > I will work closely with the debian team. Hope debian can stand
81 > against the gigantic storm of systemd.
82
83 Looks great so far and coordination is great
84
85 > The next time consuming task is to push my contribution to upstreams,
86 > very likely improving it from the feedbacks along the way. I need to
87 > stay tuned and work together with people, including Prefix herd, OpenRC
88 > herd and Debian init system developers.
89 >
90 > Thanks to this project, I find init system an interesting topic, with
91 > all the advertisements, politics, debates and cultural collisions
92 > mixed. Making a reliable, minimalistic, elegant, fast and extendable
93 > init system with dependency handling, optional event triggering,
94 > optional service supervising, etc. is definitely not a simple task.
95 >
96 > The ideas of OpenRC and the way new features gets added resonates with
97 > my own value of how computer should work. I will continue to work on it
98 > after soc.
99 >
100 > I'd like to thank my mentor Luca for introducing me to this exciting
101 > realm, for his support and advise all along. I'd like to thank Patrick,
102 > Fabian, William, Roger for the discussions and support. My thanks also
103 > go to people in mailing lists and IRC channels (esp. cxxCZ and ryao) who
104 > commented for providing nice ideas/criticism and sharping my mind.
105 >
106 > Finally replies to my last plans on 8.12,
107 >
108 > Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> writes:
109 >
110 >>> I will install a OpenSUSE first for trying out native systemd. Then
111 >>> write a tool to parse its unit files.
112 >>
113 >> Ok. Please document it.
114 >
115 > Tried systemd on OpenSUSE, disappointed by its ini unit files. At
116 > present don't see the necessity for a parser.
117
118 The unit file feature is something touted a lot, why you found it
119 disappointing?
120
121 >>> another plan for today
122 >>>
123 >>> install newest ubuntu to try out upstart natively. Make a draft
124 >>> event driven system on my laptop(debian) by newly packaged OpenRC with
125 >>> incron/inotify extension.
126 >
127 > incron not needed, it is for filesystem after all. udev + hotplug@OpenRC
128 > do the job.
129
130 More should be said on that =)
131
132 > Succeeded, thinking of documenting it in wiki.
133
134 Please do
135
136 lu