From: Amitav Mohanty <amitavmohanty01@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] fast boot of Gentoo
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 19:27:42
1 Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Alexander Chekmarev
3 > <chekmarev.alex@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hello,
6 >>
7 >> I found so many attempts to improve boot time on various linux distros.
8 >> There are utils, such as initng, (s)readahead, and bootchart which can be
9 >> used to improve loading time. And there already attempts on gentoo, like
10 >> http://www.bootchart.org/samples.html#Gentoo. Jeremy Olexa have tried make
11 >> something out of this and it looks very impressive.
12 >> http://blog.jolexa.net/tag/fastboot/
13 >> I don't know if this project will require a lot of coding, only if some soft
14 >> is not fully supports gentoo(I am not sure). Thus, this project could be
15 >> expanded by adding some guide or wizard for users to have complete system
16 >> tuning(not manually). But in GSoC we have only three month, so I should
17 >> reduce the work could be done.
18 >> Bios loading time could be decreased by open bioses replacing
19 >> proprietary(however, in theory).
20 >> The project also would require working readahead on gentoo which could take
21 >> some time. More concrete timeline and results which should appear after
22 >> three month I will post soon.
25 >> Best,
26 >> Alex Chekmarev
30 > Just a few points.
31 > -Upstream for sreadahead is *very* unresponsive and perhaps even
32 > stagnant. I do not know the state of v1.0 on 2.6.29 kernels, if it
33 > even works.
34 > -Don't send html email to mailing lists =P It ends up looking like
35 > this: http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-soc/msg_2c42ae43ab41dc963af1ae80371022a7.xml
36 >
37 > -Jeremy
41 We should also have a look at Xorg drivers. They slow down boot-up.