From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] fast boot of Gentoo
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 18:06:46
1 On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Alexander Chekmarev
2 <chekmarev.alex@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > I found so many attempts to improve boot time on various linux distros.
6 > There are utils, such as initng, (s)readahead, and bootchart which can be
7 > used to improve loading time. And there already attempts on gentoo, like
8 > http://www.bootchart.org/samples.html#Gentoo.  Jeremy Olexa have tried make
9 > something out of this and it looks very impressive.
10 > http://blog.jolexa.net/tag/fastboot/
11 > I don't know if this project will require a lot of coding, only if some soft
12 > is not fully supports gentoo(I am not sure). Thus, this project could be
13 > expanded by adding some guide or wizard for users to have complete system
14 > tuning(not manually). But in GSoC we have only three month, so I should
15 > reduce the work could be done.
16 > Bios loading time could be decreased by open bioses replacing
17 > proprietary(however, in theory).
18 > The project also would require working readahead on gentoo which could take
19 > some time. More concrete timeline and results which should appear after
20 > three month I will post soon.
23 > Best,
24 > Alex Chekmarev
27 Just a few points.
28 -Upstream for sreadahead is *very* unresponsive and perhaps even
29 stagnant. I do not know the state of v1.0 on 2.6.29 kernels, if it
30 even works.
31 -Don't send html email to mailing lists =P It ends up looking like
32 this: http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-soc/msg_2c42ae43ab41dc963af1ae80371022a7.xml
33
34 -Jeremy